The Impossible 2012
English physician Maria Bennet (Watts), her Scottish husband Henry (McGregor) and their sons Lucas (Holland), Tomas and Simon are on holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand, in 2004. The tsunami triggered by that year’s Indian Ocean earthquake floods the area. Maria and Lucas are swept away from the others by the tsunami; Maria is severely injured. They are later found by locals who transfer them to a local hospital. Due to a mix-up, the hospital staff believes she has died and takes Lucas to a tent where children without families are being held. Maria has surgery on her injured chest and is later reunited with Lucas.
Elsewhere, Henry, Tomas and Simon are together. Henry places the children into a vehicle supposed to take tourists to a safe place. Arriving in that location later, he discovers that Tomas and Simon have been sent elsewhere. Communication facilities are scarce, but a tourist named Karl, who was also separated from his family by the tsunami, volunteers to accompany Henry to look for Maria and Lucas.
Henry and Karl search for their families in various places before they arrive at the hospital where Maria and Lucas are. The vehicle carrying Tomas and Simon stops outside the hospital; the family eventually reunites. Maria has surgery which she survives and the following day the family boards an airplane to Singapore, where they intend to seek for medical care. IMDb
- Naomi Watts as Maria Bennett, an English physician and the mother of the Bennett family.
- Ewan McGregor as Henry Bennett, a Scottish man and the father of the Bennett family.
- Tom Holland as Lucas Bennett, the 13-year-old son of Maria and Henry.
- Samuel Joslin as Tomas Bennett, the seven-and-a-half-year-old son of Maria and Henry.
- Oaklee Pendergast as Simon Bennett, the 5-year-old child of Maria and Henry.
- Sönke Möhring as Karl Schweber, a German man trying to find his wife and daughter. He joins Henry to find their families.
- Geraldine Chaplin as a 73-year-old woman who talks to Tomas about the stars, after the flood caused by the tsunami.